About The Meadows

The Meadows' Grounds

The Meadows personal care home is owned by The Park Home, a Williamsport, Pennsylvania-based philanthropic and nonprofit organization that has been improving the lives of senior citizens since 1940.

UPMC Susquehanna provides clinical oversight and day-to-day management of The Meadows, under a partnership agreement.  

About The Park Home

The Park Home originated in 1929 as “The Laura V. Stuart Memorial,” named in honor of the mother of founder William Budd Stuart. Stuart established the memorial with the express purpose of providing a home for the aged, where residents could live the remainder of their lives in contentment and happiness.

To fulfill his mission, Stuart in 1930 purchased The Park Hotel, located at 800 West Fourth Street in Williamsport. The hotel was built by Peter Herdic during the lumbering boom and required extensive renovations before it was ready to fulfill its new purpose. In 1940, the name of the building was changed to The Park Home, and the facility welcomed its first residents.

In 1975, the city of Williamsport incorporated West Fourth Streetincluding The Park Homeinto a Historic District. By the late 1980s, the decades-old structure was deemed functionally obsolete, and The Park Home’s board of directors sought to demolish the building and construct a new, modern facility designed to house more than 100 residents. However, under regulations governing the Historic District, demolition was prohibited, and plans for a new facility were abandoned. In 1997, with the home no longer able to serve the needs of its residents and renovations proving to be cost prohibitive, The Park Home provided the financial assistance needed to relocate its residents to other area facilities and listed the building for sale.

Following the closure and sale of the West Fourth Street property, the board of The Park Home began pursuing a variety of options to locate or construct a new facility so the non-profit organization could continue to fulfill its mission of serving area seniors.

In August 2002, The Park Home entered into an agreement with Lycoming County for what would become The Park Home’s first purchase of The Meadows. Once the transaction was complete, the board began to plan for the construction of additional residential units on the Warrensville Road campus to help meet the region’s growing need for independent living facilities for seniors. However, deed restrictions on the property prohibited The Park Home board from moving forward with the planned expansion project. As a result, The Park Home chose to sell the property back to the county.

With dual goals of providing housing to the Sisters of Christian Charity assigned to the Williamsport area and continuing The Meadow’s mission as an independent living facility for senior adults in the region, Susquehanna Health purchased the facility in 2009. Over the years, the number of Sisters residing at The Meadows continued to decrease, and the remaining Sisters plan to relocate to a smaller space in 2015. 

In January 2015, The Park Home purchased The Meadows from Susquehanna Health, which, under a partnership agreement with The Park Home, continues to provide clinical oversight for, and day-to-day management of, The Meadows.  

Equal Opportunity Employer | Equal Opportunity Housing